Real Estate Development Manager
San Juan Center
1283 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06103
Position Type: Full-Time
The Real Estate Development Manager is a member of the San Juan Center (SJC) team, supporting achievement of the mission: to provide social and economic development services for low- and moderate-income residents of Hartford, Connecticut. To meet this challenge, SJC develops affordable housing and provides essential public services including educational and employment programs (focused around, but not limited to computer literacy training), an active information and referral service that help clients find solutions to various health, housing, human service, and crisis counseling needs. The Real Estate Development Manager will work with the Executive Director in all aspects of housing development, with the primary responsibility to implement real estate development projects from initial conception through construction, to rent-up, management or sale. This individual will coordinate and drive all of the components of a development project.
• Identify and evaluate sites for new affordable housing development in Greater Hartford.
• Identify sources for project and prepare financial feasibility, sources and uses budget, predevelopment budget, and funding plan in consultation with Executive Director.
• Develop and maintain a development schedule.
• Communicate with key community and political relationships, stakeholders, planning and zoning commissions necessary for successful implementation of the plan.
• Assemble and oversee development team to implement project (consultants, attorney, architect, contractor).
• Obtain necessary permits/approvals and manage development team.
• Prepare all financing applications and secure all soft loans and grants.
• Manage project accounting records and cash during development by monitoring project costs, budgets, and schedules so as to ensure achievement of project and SJC’s financial objectives and take corrective action where project deviates from those objectives.
• Engage a qualified architect and other design professionals as necessary.
• Develop conceptual project design and oversee development and preparation of complete plans and specifications in a timely manner.
• Review zoning and permitting requirements, timeframes, and costs, and integrate into development schedule and sources and uses budget.
• Ensure that qualified professionals will provide all necessary certifications relative to zoning, survey, environmental, site, and other issues prior to closing.
• Select a qualified contractor, negotiate construction contract and all related documents.
• Prior to construction start, obtain all permits, bonding, insurance, and other submittals.
• Establish procedures and goals for M/WBE and Section 3 participation as appropriate and integrate in contractor selection and construction oversight processes.
• Oversee the preparation and submission of all requisitions for funding and ensure that cash is available to fund all project obligations on a timely basis.
Monitor all aspects of construction including project schedule, job meetings, approving change orders, ensuring that other construction team members are performing their jobs adequately, prepare change order log, resolve punch list deficiencies, obtain all warranty information, submittals, etc.
• Ensure that all Development project files and documents are assembled in accordance with HUD, LIHTC, DECD and CHFA requirements.
• Commitment to SJC’s mission, respect for the work of our nonprofit partners, commitment to providing exemplary service to our clients.
• Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in real estate development, finance, or related field with 4 + years work experience in affordable housing/real estate development.
• At least three years experience managing complex intergovernmental programs/projects with private sector involvement related to housing rehabilitation, community, and housing development, required.
• Detailed knowledge of federal, state, and local housing programs.
• Experience in preparing written proposals and financing applications for affordable housing projects.
• Knowledge of construction monitoring and change order processes for housing rehabilitation.
• Ability to engage and maintain participation from diverse community-based organizations and local government programs, ensuring delivery of project matching contributions
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to maintain essential written records and reports
• Proven ability to work as a self-starter and team member.
• Excellent project management skills, ability to work independently;
• Demonstrated strong judgment and integrity.
• Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, computer, and project management skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel.
• Ability to travel to community sites throughout Hartford, CT.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week to be performed on site at SJC offices.
The annual salary range is commensurate with experience.
Please submit all resumes to Leticia Sepulveda at firstname.lastname@example.org
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions, responsibilities, and qualifications that comprise this position. This position is intended to be general and may evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time. The San Juan Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.